Ten Terrific Things Thursday – TTTT #11
I guess some people were a tad upset that I failed to post TTTT’s last week. Sorry guys! Team Wurtele was on the road for a couple days driving from St. George, Utah, to Coeur d’Alene, Idaho and wifi just wasn’t happening.
We actually drove about 300 miles without cell reception and thought “WOW we’re really way out there!” When the phone still didn’t work in Missoula or Coeur d’Alene we twigged to the fact that it had just crashed. Darn, I was kind of excited that it was still so easy to get totally off the grid.
In honour of the amazing landscapes that we get to see traveling throughout North America, the first terrific things this week is:
1) Road Trips! Long hauls can be a bit of a drag at times, but the RV definitely helps with a place to eat, pee, and change for workouts. A helpful Idaho rest-stop guy directed us to a great place for a trail run (where Manah was also able to get some fresh air) and we had a fantastic ride along a quiet side-road in Montana.
2) Gas stations with nice long-handled windshield squeegees, and bug remover fluid. Summer driving through the prairies means hummingbird sized bugs. I am the scrubber queen while Trev fills the gas tank.
3) Nature documentaries. I love nature shows. I remember watching a National Geographic VHS tape called “Seasons of the Sea” over an over again when I was a kid. This mokumentary about the migration of the Majestic Plastic Bag is terrific. Watch to encounter one of nature’s deadliest killers: the Teacup Yorkie.
4) The bathroom in CycleMetrix! Jim’s whole shop here in Coeur d’Alene has some pretty awesome triathlon and cycling memorabilia posted about, but the bathroom is my favorite.
5) Math homework grad dress. In this day and age of ridiculous “reality” TV shows about stupid things like finding the perfect gazzilion dollar wedding dress – where the meaning of important events usurped by shallow, materialistic, gong-shows, I worry about what young girls are starting to believe. THEN, I see an article like this. Making your own grad dress from old math homework or shopping bags = pure awesomeness! You girls rock!
6) Life Transforming Breath Spray! We found this at our friends place in Coeur d’Alene. Total Canadian wannabes You too can succumb to the fantasy… Igloo and caribou herd sold separately.
7) Journalists with a sense of humour. While bashing one of Canada’s worst musical exports is almost too easy, I still got a chuckle out of this:
8) CBC children’s programming circa 1985!! Those were great shows. It’s sad that they seem so slow now (bye bye attention spans) and that they’re so innocent as to almost seem creepy nowadays. We are all rather cynical, aren’t we? Remember the Friendly Giant and The Mighty Hercules (where the same cartoon cloud went by like 8 times as he descended from thy sky)?! My Canadian kid Sunday evening TV = Magical World of Disney, Fraggle Rock, and sometimes for a special treat we could stay up late and watch Beachcombers!!
9) Mr. Rogers. Our family did not have cable growing up, so I’ve never really watched Mr. Rogers (a.k.a. the American Mr. Dressup), but Trevor was a fan, and this mashup is pretty well done. We’ve been randomly singing things like “have you even seen a cat’s eyes in the dark, and wondered what they were?” all week. Yes! Grow some things in the garden of your mind…
10) Ironman Coeur d’Alene! This race was the very first Ironman that I ever did (2006, pic 1), and my first IM win as a pro (2008, pic 2). The whole area has a special place in our hearts. I am really looking forward to the race this Sunday! The last pic is a little teaser of my super sweet new ride. Stay tuned for the big reveal…